Wednesday 9 January 2019

'Star of the North' by D. B. John

 I decided to read this book after picking it up idly in a book store and seeing it was set in North Korea. It made me nostalgic for all those Cold War spy stories I used to read (my favorite was the Quiller series by Adam Hall aka Elleston Trevor). 

I don't want to do any spoilers so it is hard to describe! The story follows various different characters including a CIA agent, a peasant woman, and a colonel in the North Korean army. It paints a very grim picture of life in North Korea, but it is also a story with hope in it and the idea of the value of humanity. It is very well written and I found it hard to put down. 

I noted a number of nods to Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four, including use of some of his terms, such as 'thought police' and 'unperson'. One of the NK characters reminded me strongly of Winston's mentor and torturer, O'Brien. At one point there is a description of the mindset needed for survival in NK which is very reminiscent of Orwell's definition of 'double think'. 

Just in case you think the plot is too far-fetched there is an author's note at the end explaining the reality behind a lot of the things described. I found this an engrossing story and it was entertaining while still leaving me plenty to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment